Sunday, March 21, 2010

Pattern Organization


Okay so now that I have become hooked on patterns I’ve run into a little bit of a dilemma. When you buy a pattern it isn’t just for one item, you get 5 or so projects. Once you cut all those flimsy pieces out they never fit back in the paper holder they come in. GRRR!
Plus, if you want to just work on one project you have to sift through all those other pieces for  the ones you need. So I had to organize my patterns! Welcome to the picture my handy Ziploc bags.
So, here’s what I did:
I cut out all the pieces for each different project. I separated the pieces by project and then folded them so that they would fit into a quart size freezer bag.
On the front of the bag I labeled it with the pattern brand and number, and then with my Sharpie I write which pattern pieces are inside the bag.
(This part was a little bit of work, but so worth it!) You know those huge papers with the directions? I took those papers and folded them in half them placed them on the copier machine, shrunk it down to 65-75% and made a copy of everything. I cut out the directions for each project and placed them inside the bag with the pieces.
My final step was using the original pattern package. I photocopied the back side of the package for each bag I had and highlighted which project that bag housed as well what supplies I would need.  I even cut out the picture from the front of the pattern package and slide that in the bag so I can see what the final outcome should be.
Okay, I know this seems like a lot of work, and yes I am crazy enough to do it, but it has really paid off. Now when I run to the fabric store to get things for a project all I do is grab my little plastic baggie and I have everything I need.
Bag Contents:
·      Pattern pieces cut out
·      Photocopy of directions
·      Photocopy of supply list from back of package



0 comments: